Friday, June 1, 2012

Rain + Rainier Cherries

My lovely mother called me at work yesterday (a dreary, miserable, rainy day) to tell me she was outside and needed to drop something off.  I ran outside and was greeted with a bag of these beauties:
Rainier cherries are back!!!
My mother and I, since discovering these most amazing cherries, have gotten into the habit of snatching up the blushy-golden fruit whenever we find it to bring to the other. (Well, OK, mostly she brings them to me. Hey! Don't give me that look, she grocery shops waaay more than I do. I Peapod.)  Anyway, Rainier cherries (pronounced ray-NEER, not rain-i-er - bet I fooled you!) are named after Mount Rainier in Washington and are grown exclusively in the state.  If you really want to know all about these little babies, like how delicate they are, you can check out some more info here.  

I am here to tell you two things about them: 1. They are DELICIOUS! and 2. They are only around for TWO months!  They pretty much appear at the end of May and vanish toward the beginning of August.  Sad, I know, but it makes them that much more special and all the more delectable. What do they taste like, you ask? Like the ripest peach and the sweetest cherry had a baby!  Now I don't know the technical cross breeding or anything like that but like I said, you can check out the link above for those details.

All you have to do is get your butt down to the grocery store, find yourself a pound of these (they run about $5-$6/lb -- well worth it, trust me!), sit back and enjoy!  Maybe while listening to this...


Here's to making your own sunshine, even when it's raining. 
(Oh, just listen to the song!)
Maureen

No comments:

Post a Comment